As a therapist, you may spend countless hours supporting the health and wellbeing of clients, but do you set aside enough time to look after yourself?
We all need to look after our own mental and physical wellbeing to avoid problems like stress, anxiety, burnout and overuse injuries.
Action for Happiness has given us a gentle reminder with its September Self-Care action calendar, with a simple suggested task each day to keep us all on the right track.
The movement publishes monthly calendars, offering daily suggested tasks on the theme of the respective month. ‘Self-Care September’ follows other recent calendars, including ‘Altruistic August’, ‘Jump Back July’, ‘Joyful June’, ‘Meaningful May’ and ‘Active April’.
Suggestions for this month include the following:
- Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love
- Stop the glorification of ‘busy’, it’s good to take a break
- Notice the things you do well today, however small
- Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost
- Accept your mistakes as a way of helping you make progress