Wearable technology is expected to be the top fitness trend of 2019, according to a worldwide survey conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
Identifying 20 trends that will shape the global fitness industry in the year ahead, the ACSM surveyed more than 2,000 health and fitness experts, who were asked to rank 39 possible trends.
Results from the survey, now in its 13th year, showed that wearable technology climbed two places from 2018, where it was listed as the third most important trend. Other trends that round off the top five for 2019 are group training, high-intensity interval training (HIIT), fitness programmes for adults and bodyweight training.
The full list of 2019 trends:
1. Wearable technology
2. Group training
3. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
4. Fitness programmes for older adults
5. Bodyweight training
6. Employing certified fitness professionals
8. Personal training
9. Functional fitness training
10. Exercise is medicine
11. Health/wellness coaching
12. Exercise for weight loss
13. Mobile exercise apps
14. Mobility/myofascial devices
15. Worksite health promotion and workplace wellbeing programmes
16. Outcome measurements
17. Outdoor activities
18. Licensure for fitness professionals
19. Small group personal training
20. Post-rehabilitation classes